-What are the dates I can begin lessons?
If you are a beginner, you can start the Italian language course every other Monday. If you are not a beginner you can start any Monday. Please consult the schedule. We ask all the non beginners students to complete our Placement test at least two weeks before their arrival in Florence.
Start dates in 2024
Elementary, intermediate and advanced students can start the course every Monday. Complete beginners can start the course every second Monday, on these specific dates:
8 January, 22 January, 5 February, 19 February, 5 March, 18 March, 2 April, 15 April, 29 aprile, 13 May, 27 May, 10 June, 25 June, 8 July, 22 July, 5 August, 19 August, 2 September, 16 September, 30 September, 14 October, 28 October, 11 November, 25 November, 9 December.
Holidays in 2024
Lessons take place from Monday to Friday. On Saturday the school organises activities that the students can take part in if they would like to: visits to museums or monuments and excursions in cities close to Florence.
The school follows national and local holidays and will be closed on the following days: 6 January, Easter Monday (1 April), 25 April, 1 May, 2 June, 24 June, 15 August, 1 November, 8 December. The school will be closed for Christmas holidays from 23 December 2024 to 6 January 2025. The school will reopen on 7 January 2025
-What should I expect from my first day at the school?
We will wait for you at 8:30/8:45 am at school. Beginner students will start their lessons at 9:00 am. Students in all other levels will take an oral test prior to their start at 9:00.
-How many participants there will be in a class?
At the ABC School of Florence each class has a maximum of 10 students (minimum 3 students to form a class). This is due to better quality learning in smaller groups.
-Which textbooks are used?
Our Italian grammar and exercise books have been written by the ABC School after many years of experience. These books are used in conjunction with authentic teaching materials, for example: newspaper and magazine articles, audiovisual materials, and many activities inside the classroom.
-Is the teaching material included in the price?
All text books and other supplies are provided by the school, but you are expected to bring your own dictionary.
-Which teaching method do you use?
The ABC School teaches according to the Direct Teaching Method: from the first day on, in all levels, only Italian will be spoken. You will be encouraged to practice verbal communication with your teachers so that you may learn Italian naturally, increasing your knowledge quickly and with confidence. With your teacher you will practice your spoken Italian in real-life situations.
-What are the qualifications of the teachers?
All the teachers are highly qualified and Italian mothertongue. They have a degree in Italian language and literature. All of our teachers have been specially trained in teaching Italian to foreigners.
-Which course certificates will I receive?
At the end of each course, students who have attended regularly will receive a certificate of attendance indicating the level of proficiency attained.
- What are the arrival and departure dates?
Accommodation is from the Sunday before your course starts until the Saturday after your course ends. Please note that an extra night on arrival or departure is possible. On your departure day, the apartment has to be left before 11am.
Terms of enrollment
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF ENROLMENT
All enrolments at the ABC School are subject to the following General Conditions.
1. LESSONS. Italian Language Courses run from Monday to Friday except on official Italian and local public holidays. On their first day students should be at school at 8:30/8:45. Each group lesson lasts 45 minutes. Group lessons are usually held in the morning, however occasionally (in high season) they may be held in the afternoon. Each individual lesson lasts 55 minutes. Individual lessons of the Standard Plus Courses are generally held in the afternoon. Individual, Duetto and Trietto Courses have a schedule to be organised.
2. ITALIAN LANGUAGE LEVELS. Italian language levels are predicted in accordance with the European Common Framework of Reference for Languages. Completion of a 4-week course does not guarantee advancement to the next level.
3. NUMBER OF STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN THE COURSES. Classes (except for School Group Courses) have a maximum of 10 students. The minimum number of students in a class is 3. In the event that it is not possible to reach the minimum number, the tuition will be reduced given the more intense nature of small classes.
4. LESSON RECUPERATION. If a student does not attend or wants to shorten his/her course after the course has begun, lessons subsequently lost cannot be made up and tuition fees will not be refunded. In the case of national or local public holidays, group lessons do not take place. Only the individual lessons will be made up.
5. 50+ PROGRAM. Includes Italian language lessons and specified cultural activities. In the event there are less than 3 students enrolled, language lessons will be reduced given the more intense nature of small classes. Alternatively students can choose to attend a course with the other students of the same level with a complete schedule. Cultural activities for 50+ students will be held even if there is only one student enrolled.
6. ACCOMMODATION. Finding accommodation in Florence is a service reserved only for the students enrolled and who regularly attend a course. Accommodation is available from the Sunday before the course starts until the Saturday after the course ends. On their last day, students have to leave their accommodation before 11:00 am. It is possible to book one extra night on arrival and/or on departure. Accommodation could be in different types of homes and families. Internet connection is guaranteed in all accommodation. It is not possible to invite friends home, nor to invite them to spend the night (unless prior arrangements are made with the owner of the house and the school). For those who are thinking about staying out for the night, please let your host family know to avoid any unnecessary worry. The school cannot be held responsible in any way for the relationship between the student and the landlord or landlady. In some accommodations, a deposit corresponding to half or the full amount may be required.
7. TRANSFER SERVICE. This service must be booked at the time of enrolment. At least one week before arrival in Florence all details of arrival (flight/train number and time) must be communicated to the school. If such information is not communicated on time, the school will not be able to guarantee the service. ABC school is not responsible if the student or the agent do not follow the stated conditions.
8. PAYMENTS. To enrol in a course it is necessary to send 30% of the fee of the chosen course as one of the following options: cash, by bank transfer or by credit card (Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard). All bank expenses are charged to the student. All bank transfer must be made in favour of: SCUOLA ABC, Banca Intesa San Paolo - Via Bufalini 4 – 50122 Firenze Account holder: L’Arca s.r.l. Account number:1000/13063 IBAN: IT57W0306902887100000013063 - BIC/SWIFT: BCITITMM. Students should clearly the reason for the payment in the bank receipt (including type of course and the student's name).
9. CHANGE OF BOOKINGS, CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS. In the case of a cancellation before the beginning of the course, the ABC school will retain the deposit. The ABC school reserves the following rights: - to make no refunds once the course has begun; to change course programmes without any prior notice in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond our control; to refuse claims which have not been made by a student not during his/her stay at the ABC school and not within 14 days after departure or termination of his/her course; to refuse claims made by a third person appointed by the student to act in his/her name; to change accommodation and/or offer alternatives on the rare occasions ABC school is unable to provide the accommodation requested.
10. VISA. Students who are not EU citizens who want to enrol for a period of more than 90 days, must make a request for an Entry Visa for Study Purposes to the Italian Embassy in their country. The ABC school will issue a Certificate of Enrolment to students who apply for this Entry Visa, only after receiving the total fee and only for the duration of the course booked. If the visa application is rejected by the Italian Embassy, after receiving the Certificate of Enrolment, the student has the right to receive a reimbursement of the total amount less € 60 (+ bank charges) for administration costs. After having obtained the Entry Visa, it is not possible to cancel or change the dates of courses. After their arrival in Italy, non-EU students must request a Staying Visa (“Permesso di Soggiorno”) from the Foreign Office of the Police in Florence, within 8 days.
11. ACCIDENT AND MEDICAL INSURANCE. ABC school is covered by insurance stipulated in accordance with laws, in all cases students should take out medical and personal insurance before leaving their country. EU citizens are entitled to free medical care in Italy if they hold an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) which can be obtained from their local health authority. Students not of the European Union must conform to the requirements issued by the Italian Government.
12. RESPONSIBILITY. The ABC school is not held liable for any illness, accident, prejudice, damage or injury to students or third parties however caused. The school is not held liable for theft, damage or loss of objects within the school or within the spaces used for extra activities nor within students' accommodation. Furthermore, the school is not liable in the event of the school being unable to supply services to which it is contractually bound resulting from causes outside the school’s control such as, but not limited to, natural disasters, government actions, pandemics, etc. Refunds will not be made in the above stated circumstances.
13. EXPULSIONS. ABC school reserves the right to dismiss any student whose conduct is unsatisfactory at the discretion of the Director whose decision is final. There will be no refund in cases of expulsion.
14. ACCEPTANCE OF THESE REGULATIONS. All enrolments are subject to the above mentioned General Conditions, which become legally binding on acceptance of enrolment through electronic and/or signed registration form or any written form of registration (also through agencies and representatives), the applicant tacitly agrees to accept these General Conditions.
15. PHOTOS AND VIDEOS. Students, by accepting these terms and conditions and by subscribing to this enrolment form, authorize the school to use the photos and the videos taken during the leisure activities for promotional use.
16. AUTHORISATION OF DATA All enrolments are in accordance with the art. 10 of Italian Law 196/2003. Therefore, by subscribing to this enrolment form, students authorize ABC school to utilise their personal data, statements and pictures for promotional reasons.
17. CANCELLING YOUR ACCOMMODATION Accommodation cancellation should be sent to the school by registered letter, fax or email. If the cancellation is made one week before the beginning of the course, the school will retain one week’s accommodation fees (regardless of the booking duration). If the cancellation is made within two weeks before the beginning of the course, the school will retain 50% of one week’s accommodation fee. If the cancellation is made more than 15 days before the beginning of the course, no penalty shall be paid.